This mosaic map depicting the Holy Land was discovered in Madaba in Jordan In 1884. The ancient Madaba map shows Jerusalem as it looked during the 6th century AD - known as the Byzantine period At the center of the Madaba Map, the old main market road of Jerusalem - Cardo Maximus and its pillars, can be seen. The Cardo Maximus spanned from north to sourth (from Damascus Gate to the Zion Gate). The Church of the Holy Sepulchre can also be seen in the map. It is located on the mid-bottom of the Cardo Maximus road.
A few more churches once stood alongside the Cardo Maximus during the Byzantine period. On the southern side once stood the ‘Nea Church’ built by Emperor Justinus. Also clearly marked in the Madaba Map is the ‘Holy Zion Church’ which still stands to this day. the Holy Zion Church marks the Cenacle in Jerusalme which is the site of the Last Supper of Christ.