Inside Dormition Abbey in Jerusalem

Inside Dormition Abbey in Jerusalem
The Dormition Abbey in Jerusalem located on the top of mount Zion, this German Benedictine abbey was erected on the site where according to tradition the Virgin Mary had died.
The site lay in ruins from the 7th to the end of the 12th Century, and was rebuilt by the Crusaders at the turn of the century. The monastery was destroyed once more during the fall of the Crusaders Kingdom and was left out of the Jerusalem city walls built by the Ottoman Empire in the 16th Century. The site was thus neglected and used as burial grounds. During his visit to the Holy land in 1898 AD, the German Kaiser Wilhelm II received the land as a gift from the Ottoman sultan Abdul Hamid. German reconstruction of the monastery began in 1901 and included a large church, a bell tower and other structures needed for the everyday work of monastery. The construction was completed in 1910 and the compound was named "Dormitio Beatae Mariae Virginis" which means "Holy sleep of Virgin Mary" - “Dormition” in short. 
Inside the Church is an apse commemorating Jesus, Mary and some of the prophets. At the center of the hall is a mosaic depicting 3 rings symbolizing the ‘Holy Trinity’ and in the crypt an icon of Mary made of ivory and cherry tree wood can be found.

Tell us what you think about this topic